Wednesday 15 June 2016

NYC update: June 16th

I have been living here for just over two weeks now. I couldn't tell you where that time has gone, I am after all in the city that never sleeps. The fast paced atmosphere is suited to me, and the days seem very short. With that said, on the other hand it feels like I have always been here, as if I have lived here for years. I feel so far away from my life in London and perhaps I've not been here long but I haven't got a lick of homesickness. Considering my love for London I thought I would have some sort of longing for home comfort, but I seem to have adapted so well here and fallen in love with this city that those feelings aren't present.

Everyone seems to be a creative here, especially in Brooklyn. It reminds me of London in many ways except everyone seems to be hustling harder here. I feel like the drive to create and make it is much stronger and apparent. I meet people and talk about their jobs and their goals and I watch how their eyes widen as they tell me their story of their journey here. It's an amazing hub of opportunity and I'm thriving in it.

I've found myself exploring more of Brooklyn itself than Manhattan, I haven't done much of the tourist stuff other than the ground zero memorials which were both heart-breaking and beautiful at the same time. Yesterday I was shown The Highline - an old railroad that used to run through Manhattan and had been converted into a garden walkway. Of course I intend on getting around to the museums, but my favourite experiences so far have been the local bars and events around my area. I found myself at a tiki disco in Bushwick the other day which I can only describe as a merge of Shoreditch and Coachella combined.

Last night however, I went to my new friend Anna's place where she was having friends over for drinks on her rooftop. I sat there drinking wine and listening to the devil makes 3 with the most tremendous view of the entire of Manhattan in front of me. I watched the cars sweeping in and out of the city over the bridges, and felt overwhelmed with emotion. This was real. This was happening, and I had made this happen for myself. I couldn't feel as free as I did at that very moment. It is certainly a high I will never forget.

 I've spent my day emailing and getting in contact with people here. My shoot in Philadelphia last week went so well and it still amazes me that I am able to continue my ambition out here. A friend I had made at a crab shack in Redhook at the beginning of my stay here had briefly mentioned getting me in touch with the owner of Nylon magazine, and after hitting her up today and being linked into an email with said person, I think I will be working with them very soon. She loved my portfolio and said she was glad I had reached out to her. I cannot express what a great feeling that is.

I'm constantly surprising myself with how far I can push my comfort zone. I've signed up to an app called meet up - where you can join groups and find stuff to do all over the city. I've joined a bootcamp group (gulp) and I'm going to a vegan talk next week. There are so many opportunities to engage with and meet people here. I want to make the most of that.

Until next time,

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment